Welcome to our NMAD’s 23rd Annual Conference for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Deafblind and Hearing New Mexicans. Our theme is “The City of Cultural Diversity” Our goal is to convene and come together to create positive, lasting change for all!
First up, let’s give a wide wave of hands to the Northern New Mexico Association of the Deaf (NNMAD) Committee for working so hard for many months to ensure a warm welcome for all of us. Thanks also to our very own NMAD Board of Members, Chairpersons and Committee as partners with NNMAD for their hard work in bringing you a successful conference.
This NMAD Conference 2014 is different than our past conferences; we have more workshop offerings for individuals and organizations to expand their knowledge and perspectives, and create an opportunity to increase community resources through the synergy of collaboration. These workshops will benefit all Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Deafblind, interpreters, educators, parents, professionals and other participants.
Our goal is to have all of our policy initiatives developed by meeting with diverse stakeholders. We will develop public policy solutions to barriers faced in education, health care, technology, access to public services and employment. We will work with agencies, state government and nonprofit organizations. We will meet with legislatures and make proposals to stakeholders including national experts in health care, education, employment and technology. In addition, we will obtain full access to all meetings with sign language interpreters and CART (captioning).
Our big challenge is changing from our biennial NMAD conference to the annual conference. We feel that hosting our conference yearly will keep us up to date on important issues such as legislation, technology, education, healthcare, etc. which changes every year. We want to stay abreast of any new changes whether it is the bill or the law or making a comment in regulations in the public or private sector.
We have come a long way to ensure that the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Deafblind community have equal access, equal opportunities, and effective communication through Federal & New Mexico civil rights laws and regulations.
NMAD Conference Schedule:
* 2015 – Carlsbad – Hosted by Deaf Association of Las Cruces & Deaf Hobbs Club
* 2016 – Albuquerque – Hosted by Duke City Association of the Deaf
Past NMAD Conferences
- 1995 – 12th Biennial Convention – hosted by Roswell Association of the Deaf
- 1997 – 14th Biennial Convention – hosted by
- 1999 – 15th Biennial Convention – hosted by Albuquerque Metro Chapter
- 2001 – 16th Biennial Convention – hosted by Las Cruces Association of the Deaf
- 2003 – 17th Biennial Convention – hosted by Alamogordo Chapter
- 2005 – 18th Biennial Convention – hosted by Santa Fe Chapter
- 2007 – 19th Biennial Convention – hosted by Roswell Association of the Deaf
- 2009 – 20th Biennial Conference – hosted by Albuquerque Metro Chapter
- 2011 – 21st Biennial Conference – hosted by Las Cruces Association of the Deaf
- 2013 – 22nd Annual Conference – hosted by Roswell Association of the Deaf